Thursday 21 March 2013

Sight Word Bingo

So, who doesn't love a good game of bingo!! And with school age children, if you can encourage some early-word recognition along the way, then thats a bonus I think! This was my inspiration for my post, something fun and educational that we could all enjoy & was super easy to prepare!



The first part of planning this exercise involved putting together a list of 'sight words' and creating the bingo cards with these words mapped out on them. I did not use any particular resource to come up with these words, I simply used ones I thought were common & those Ive seen in children's early reading books. Im sure you could easily download a suitable list appropriate to your childs year level from the web - or ask their teacher!



Once I had the bingo cards individually mapped out, I found the brightest card we had (everything is SOOO much more fun when its bright!!), typed them out & printed them off. I used a total of 30 'sight words' and printed these on plain white paper also, ready for cutting & laminating.




I looove using my laminator when possible (dont ask me why??!) so laminated each sheet containing the bingo cards and also my list of words. You could do this without laminating - I just find the cards are not damaged nearly as easily if they are. Then, as you can see from my pic, cut up my bingo cards (8 in total), all of my 'sight words' and found some markers which are to be used to cover the words. We found these in our craft box & thought they would be just perfect!





All you need then is a box or bag of some sort to put in and mix up your words (we just used a sandwich bag), and you are ready to go! A super easy idea that the kids will love! I am planning to link printables for this activity to my post - so stay tuned! If you do make your own version, I would love to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment